Lately, I decided to re-read one of my favorite books, The Law of Success by Napoleon Hill. The sole purpose for me doing this all over again is to capitalize on the rich contents in there, for my ever-developing mind, I prefer to savor the harvest and make withdrawals in a more customized manner to fit my own developing pace.
Now, as I go through each chapter, juggling between its content and how it could be applied on a practical level in my life, I ponder upon the thought of how life would have been, if this information was available to me earlier in my life. Nevertheless, I strongly believe that everything you need, will present itself at the right place and at the right time of your life. Knowing that there is no better time than now, there is no point of dwelling in the past.
The book speaks so much about how we unknowingly become an obstacle to our own success. Truth be told, our minds are programmed to caution us against our environment and with that said, the most obvious prompt we usually get, is always in the negative.
For the most part of it, we are too afraid to go beyond this emotional barrier and explore our true potential. When analyzed, the biggest roadblock I hear of is the phrase “the risk is too much”. I agree that taking risks are not for the faint hearted, considering there is always a grey area waiting to be explored. However, risks only experience the potential of failure, when we depend on a positive outcome based on the roll of a dice! Let us debunk some of these myths surrounding “Risks” to understand what exactly is the issue.
What is a risk? (When searching for the meaning on google, here is what I found):
- A situation involving exposure to danger.
- The possibility that something unpleasant or unwelcome will happen
- A person or thing regarded as a threat or likely source of danger
- A possibility of harm or damage against which something is insured.
- A person or thing regarded as likely to turn out well or badly in a particular context or respect
- The possibility of financial loss.
The above statements are only an affirmation to how our mind chooses to see the negatives, totally ignoring the other side of a “risk”.
If I were to equally mention the positives of the very same word “risk”.
- A situation resulting in safety
- The possibility that something pleasant or welcoming will happen
- A person or thing regarded as a form of protection or likely safe haven
- A possibility of benefit or improvement against which something is insured
- A person or thing regarded to turn out well or good in a particular context or respect
- The possibility of financial gain
Taking risks should always be encouraged, considering that you never come out a loser. You either end up rich in cash or rich in knowledge, either way, both has its ways of benefits!
Let us see how “risk” can be mitigated.
- It is important to know what you are aiming for.
- Set a plan on how to achieve it.
- Educate yourself on the options available and the necessary costs involved.
- Be realistic with your plans and manage your expectation.
- It is important to carry out necessary due diligence prior to any investments.
- Be flexible and ready to adapt to a changing environment.
- Do not be impulsive and irrational.
- Be honest with yourself.
- Be consistent.
Do you think you are capable of taking risks?
Remember, everyone is capable of taking risks, not only taking risks but also benefiting from it, as long you remember that success starts from a mindset, the rest will follow on its own.